An Overview of the Genetically-Engineered Salmon
If approved by the FDA, the genetically engineered salmon would be the first genetically modified animal to be sold in stores.
•The FDA has recently approved one animal-related product, a goat engineered item to produce a human pharmaceutical in its milk.
The Following information comes from the AquaBounty FAQ.
• AquAdvantage® Salmon do not grow bigger than the regular Atlantic Salmon, only faster
• AquAdvantage® Salmon will be raised in intense biological and physical containment to prevent them from escaping and interacting with the native fish
• AquAdvantage® Salmon don’t have an additional amount of growth hormones compared to the wild Atlantic Salmon
• Genes are extracted from the Pout and Chinook Salmon to create the AquAdvantage® Salmon
Quick Facts About Salmon
• Atlantic Salmon are native in the Northern Atlantic Ocean.
• The world is eating more Salmon: Consumption in the US increased “nine-fold” between 1987 and 1999.
• European salmon consumption increase about four times. And doubled in Japan between 1992 and 2002, according to National Marine Fisheries Services.
General facts gathered from the information presented to the VMAC in September.